Want to make a difference in your community…every day?
Want to be part of a team? Want to challenge yourself?
Want to become part of a family?
Are you ready to become part of something bigger than yourself??
Join the Galax Volunteer Fire Department!!
Stop by the Galax Fire Department Recruitment and Retention Coordinator’s office located in the City of Galax Municipal Building located at 111 E. Grayson St in downtown Galax. Recruitment and Retention Coordinator Mike Ayers (235-9580) will talk with you about the requirements to become a volunteer and the application process. He will then provide you with an application to complete at your convenience, and return.
What are the application requirements to become a Galax Volunteer Firefighter?
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Applicants must be high school graduates or have obtained their GED.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Applicants must live within one mile of the city limits. (Negotiable if the applicants employment is within the City and he or she is able to respond from work.)
- Applicants must have lived in the area for at least one year.
- Applicants must not have a felony record.
What are the membership requirements to be a Galax Volunteer Firefighter?
- Members are required to maintain, at minimum, 25% attendance to all meetings, trainings, and emergency calls.
- Members are required to be a representation of the Galax Fire Department as well as the Fire Service 24/7.
- Members are required to participate in all fundraising activities.
- Members are required to complete Firefighter I, Hazmat Operations, and Firefighter II within the first 3 years of joining the department.
What are the training requirements to be a Galax Volunteer Firefighter?
- Members must complete Firefighter I, Hazmat Operations, and Firefighter II through the Virginia Department of Fire Programs within the first 3 years of joining the department.
- Classes and equipment are free.
- Scheduling for classes varies.
What do we do?
- Fire Suppression
- Vehicle Extrication
- Rope Rescue
- Water Rescue
- Public Education
You don’t have to be great at everything we do…but you do have a gift that we can use!!
What are the benefits of becoming a Galax Volunteer Firefighter?
Seriouly!!?? There is no greater job on the planet! You become part of a team, locally, regionally, and nationally, that is called upon to make a life and death difference on a moments notice. You make a difference in your hometown by protecting your family, friends, and neighbors. You become part of the highly respected, national fire service brotherhood. You become part of the Galax Fire Department family. Most importantly, you make a difference. “ Some people live and entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Firefighters don’t have that problem.”
- Click Here for a Virginia Guide to Careers and Programs in Fire Science
- Click Here for More Information from FireScience.org
How does the process work?
- Stop by and see the Recruitment Coordinator.
- Fill out the membership application and return the application to the Chief along with a copy of your driving record from the DMV.
- The application will then be given to the Membership Committee who will complete the required background and reference checks.
- The applicant will be called to schedule an interview with the membership committee.
- The application will then be presented to the full membership with a recommendation from the Membership Committee.
- The membership will vote and the applicant will be notified of those results immediately.
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
COME JOIN OUR TEAM?
COME JOIN OUR FAMILY?
GALAX VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT